KALA GHODA ARTS FESTIVAL 2014
Every year, the nine day Kala Ghoda Arts Festival takes place from the first Saturday
in February till the next Sunday. The dates for this years festival are February
1 to February 9, 2014.
- The Kala Ghoda Arts Festival,now in its 16th year, is a community celebration of
the arts within one of the most beautiful and historic precincts of Mumbai, The
Kala Ghoda Art District.
- It has been held for the last 15 years last years , and is open to all, free of
- It has traditionally offered various programmes in Visual Art, Music, Theatre, Dance
, Street Acts, Heritage Walks, Literature and Workshops for children as well as
- The Festival has grown exponentially, and is hugely successful, drawing over 150,000
people from all over the city to 350 events over 9 days. Tourists from all over
the world plan their trip to Mumbai to witness the Kala Ghoda Arts Festival.
- Funds raised from the festival go towards the restoration and upkeep of the area.
Several heritage buildings and institutions in the area have benefited from this.
THE FESTIVAL VENUES THIS YEAR
- Rampart Row is the nerve center –it is the street alongside Jehangir Art Gallery
that houses a row of eateries and art galleries It has an amphitheatre built by
the Kala Ghoda Association. It is lined with art and craft stalls that sell interesting
little gifts by NGOs and other entrepreneurs. The walking plaza also hosts the Visual
Arts alongside the Rampart Galleries. The restaurants on the street spill outdoors
on the pavements. Street Acts will be performed on this street everyday.
- Horniman Circle Garden – this beautiful set of gardens is dedicated to the Festival
all nine days; the garden has a stage with seating and hosts theatre.
- David Sassoon Library- where the literature festival is held.
- Kitab Khana -will be for children's literature
- Garden of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahlaya, (formerly Prince Of Wales
Museum)- for children's workshops
- The Asiatic Library Steps- for music concerts
- Coomaraswamy Hall(CSMVS) -for cinema
- National Gallery of Modern Art – for theatre and children's workshops
- Max Mueller Bhavan- for cinema and theatre
- BNHS- for cinema
- Gallery Beyond- for cinema
- Art Entrance, Artists Centre, Hacienda, Gallery ICIAA, Cross Maidan - visual arts
- Westside, Army & Navy building store for Food workshops
- Artists’ Centre, Artisans and Gallery,Bellagio Bistro and Gallery ICIAA- for workshops
- Cross Maidan- for dance and music