Speed of Light
Tarana Khubchandani, Festival Committee Member & Curator
Heeral Akhaury, Curator
Kanchi Mehta, Guest Curator
Sumesh Sharma, Guest Curator
Varsha Karale, Guest Curator
Expanding its boundaries widely in 2017 Visual Arts will extend beyond Kaikashru Dubash Marg, and installations will be on display at Cross Maidan and Horniman Circle Gardens also.
Thematically titled as Speed of Light, the festival celebrates the return of the Kalaghoda statue to the historic art district. Artists are advised to interpret the theme in their individualistic Installations
There is a lot of participation from several architecture schools with interesting twists to the theme.
Some of the artists/institutes displaying installations are :
- NMIMS’ Balwant Sheth School of Architecture
- L S Raheja School of Architecture – various groups with interesting innovative takes on the Speed of Light
- Whistling Woods – a dance of the past and the future
- Mumbai Underground – visual representation of the proposed Mumbai Metro
- Akanksha B – interactive light trails
- Sreemoyee Ray – creative Fusion
- Rahul Das – return of the Kala Ghoda
- Natasha Joseph – chaotic order
- Naval Dockyard – recycled energies
- Abha Talesara – Cube of hope
- Nitant Hirlekar – Pixelated LIGHT
- Alliance Française de Bombay – Calligraphy Booth by Savita Thakur
- Yogendra : three Rocking Horses
- Pablo Ramirez an Argentinian mural artist
- Purva Pundit – “KALA GHODA, Literally” acts like a totem to express the concept of “mumbaiya culture”
- Rinkal chheda, Vaishnavi Jagtap – Topiary of Kalaghoda
- Ceramic Artists – Walk the Talk
- Roopvalatstudio – ASHVA
- Kruti Garg – Inner Reflections
- My hair for cancer
At Horniman Circle Gardens, Kanchi Mehta curates Genesis : Eternal.
Inviting artists from across the country to work with sustainable and found materials to create kinetic sculptures, sound or performance installations.
Maadol Mukherjee – Throne – Mother Earth
Nishant Sudhakaran – Live To Grow To Live
Tathagat Hazra – Merudand
Ratna Gupta – Breathe III
Jariwala Orphanage – Thangka style Collaged fabrics
Kunal Naik – Inside the Tree
Jatin Kampani – I Too Have a Song
Rahul Bhattacharya – The River Library
Vikram Arora – An Eternal Genesis
Santosh Kalbande – Deforestation for Infreastructure
Munir Kabani – Solar Love
Niska Khemka – Evolution
In addition, for the first time 4 of the Jehangir Art Galleries will be available to showcase paintings, sculptures and ceramics of all genres of artists.
Sumesh Sharma of Clark House Initiative adds that he would be interested in documenting the role of Jehangir Art Gallery in shaping the careers of the artists from the JJ School of Art, that have turned to this institution for patronage through the years.
Photography exhibits will be curated by Varsha Karale and displayed between Terrace Art Gallery at Jehangir Art Gallery, Coomaraswamy Hall at the Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya, Fort, Artists Centre and Art Entrance. Varsha and her team will conduct an online photography competition that asks for the “best click of the Kalaghoda festival” and the region. The selected entries will be on display at the Terrace Art Gallery at Jehangir Art Gallery.
Army Navy will host photographs of well known medical professionals : Dr Burjor Banaji, Dr Ambrish Vaidya, Dr Jehangir Sorabjee, Dr Hemant Morparia & Dr Mukesh Batra.
Acknowledgements: Gallery Art and Soul, Deepak Shah (MD, JSM Urja Autos) for ‘Genesis’ and Sunil Padwal.